Software Engineer Microservices
Areas that play to your
All the responsibilities we’ll trust you with:
BUILD AND OPERATE SCALABLE MICROSERVICES
Our applications consist of several event-driven or RESTful microservices, each of which makes strong use of multiple cloud services provided by AWS. You’ll work in a small and agile team that encourages a strong DevOps culture and deploys to production several times a day. Most of our components today are written in NodeJS, deployed either via containers or by using the serverless framework.
We expose a large catalogue of content pieces to our API consumers via REST and GraphQL APIs. Both the variety of content-formats and the many different usage scenarios require us to offer a large set of features through our APIs. You’ll be challenged with the design and implementation of APIs which are both simple to use and still highly scalable.
You’ll work in a small mixed team of junior and senior engineers. You’ll be asked to participate in code-reviews and estimation meetings. You’ll support in coordinating and helping to prioritise engineering tasks. Over time, you’ll become the engineering lead for several services.
We continuously iterate on the service we built, in order to offer additional features, make them more robust or improve performance. You’ll continuously scout for new industry trends, cloud or SaaS services which could help improving our products. In addition, you’ll evaluate the potential of new solutions and implement small POCs to validate the expected potential.
You’ll become the expert and contact person for other engineers who are integrating with the APIs you build and design. This way, you identify the need of new features or issues with the current solution. In addition, you’ll present new ideas, tools or changes in internal meetups or team meetings.
Your areas of knowledge and expertise
That matter most for this role:
- Engineering background building web-scale applications or APIs, ideally using Node.JS
- Experience with cloud-native database engines (DynamoDB, MongoDB, Redis, Elasticsearch, Postgres)
- Knowledge about services offered by major cloud providers (AWS, Google Cloud)
- Experience with building highly scalable systems
- Knowledge of modern architectural patterns such as event-sourcing and CQRS
- Knowledge about implementing for testability and how to design CI / CD pipelines
- Knows how to explain complex technical concepts to a technical and non-technical audience
- Experience with GraphQL (using or implementing a GraphQL API) is a plus
- Experience building single-page-applications, ideally with React.js
- Bachelor’s / master’s degree in computer science, software engineering or technical college (HTL)
- Very good English skills, German is a plus
- Travel up to: 10%