We are seeking an experienced, dedicated and innovative Senior Project Officer to grow with REEEP.
Senior Project Officer – Operations (40 h/w)
The Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency Partnership (REEEP) is an impact-driven international non-profit organization that builds markets for clean energy in developing countries, primarily in Africa and Asia.
Our goals: increase energy access, reduce poverty, create economic opportunities and combat climate change.
We are a unique bunch: a combination of (erstwhile) engineers, economists, lawyers, bankers, operations experts and development specialists who are bringing start-up energy and blue-sky ideas to tackle big challenges. REEEP’s head office is in Vienna, Austria, but we work hand-in-hand with partners based in our countries of implementation.
About the role
As part of the REEEP Energy Access Team, you will be working specifically on the Beyond the Grid Fund Africa (BGFA) programme and reporting to the Programme Director as well as working closely with Senior Project Managers. The position is designed to ensure the organizational efficiency and effectiveness of BGFA implementation by managing internal operational functions of the programme and supporting compliance to ensure alignment with all funder/government and REEEP requirements.
The position requires a passion for the goals of BGFA, dedication to the customers we serve and enables excellent partner relations.
This position supports internal daily operations, planning, budgeting and monitoring of the use of resources and focuses on continuous improvement in operations and processes. You will establish and support implementation of standard operating procedures (SOPs), develop tracking and reporting processes and tools and develop and monitor information flows.
- Support the establishment, management and monitoring of an overall implementation plan for the various components (including country level) of the BGFA programme
- Support the development of programme and sub-component budgets and related ToRs for negotiation and agreement with NEFCO
- Guide in alignment of reporting, and developing and maintaining resourcing and budget plans.
- Establish and optimize internal operational processes for programme management and reporting, information flow, process improvement and organizational planning
- Support maintaining the relationship with the Nordic Environment Finance Corporation (NEFCO), Facility Manager of BGFA, as well as Sida and the Swedish embassies in BGFA countries
- Support monitoring of progress and ensure timely responses to NEFCO to provide programme deliverables as per ToR with NEFCO on time and on budget
- Support the designing of financial and budget models for growth and scale of energy access and BGFA operations as appropriate and required for BGFA strategic growth and development objectives
- Prepare accurate and timely submission of BGFA quarterly narrative and financial reporting as required by the Framework Service Agreement with NEFCO including coordination and curation of required submissions and contributions from other team members
- Serve as a liaison to REEEP legal counsel in addressing legal issues, procurement and contracting of external service providers and to the REEEP finance department in creation of financial reporting and programme budgeting
- Support aligning assignment objectives and reporting as well as developing and maintaining resourcing and budget plans
- Improve coordination and communications across the programme to increase effectiveness and efficiency, both in operational aspects as well as in aspects of programme content
- Support the Programme Director in managing the HR lifecycle – from resource planning to recruiting, on-boarding, performance management and professional development
- Participate in risk assessment analysis for the programme
- Support the development of new projects as well as related proposal writing and liaison with funders
Experience and skills
We are looking for a committed and energetic professional with at least 7 years’ experience, including a minimum of 2 years in a senior position, with a demonstrated track record of operations and or project/programme management experience and a graduate degree in business management, finance, human resources or related field.
Demonstrated track record of excellence in the following technical and personal skills:
- Strong organizational skills with a bias for action
- Operations, programme or project management in an international non-profit environment; experience with managing funding from public donors, governments, international organisations, and foundations; experience in working with and in sub-Saharan Africa is a distinct advantage
- Financial management and budget development
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English; knowledge of French and/or Portuguese would be an asset
- Independent self-starter with strong interpersonal and team skills
- Project management and track record in building, improving and maintaining structures, systems and processes
- Written and interpersonal communications
- Demonstrated experience in the fields of clean energy solutions and development cooperation; experience with off-grid and/or agricultural energy solutions is an advantage
- Data collection and reporting in Excel/Pivot tables and other data management and presentation tools
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office products and customer relationship management systems
- Hands-on, practical attitude, well-organized and able to prioritize, honest and open-minded team player
What we offer
For this 40h/week full time position, REEEP offers a minimum all-in monthly salary of EUR 3,200,- (gross, paid 14 times per year, subject to Austrian social security deduction, currently free of income tax due to REEEP’s status as a “Quasi-International Organisation”). This includes five weeks paid leave (pro-rated to part-time) as well as an average of 14 Austrian and UN holidays per annum. The envisaged starting date is August 2020.
The work location is the Vienna International Centre (“UNO City’’) in Vienna, Austria. REEEP is not in the position to cover relocation costs or any other travel costs incurred, e.g. for job interviews.
Due to its special legal status, applicants must have a valid residency permit for Austria/EU, but do not require a work permit.
REEEP is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard for age, gender, race, religion, marital status, physical or mental disability, or sexual orientation.
How to apply
Applicants are kindly requested to address their CV, motivation letter and any supporting documents to [email protected]. Please note that only complete and timely submitted applications will be considered and that only short-listed candidates will receive individual communication. The selection procedure may include a written test.
Application deadline: 02 August 2020 (midnight CET)
This is an advertisement for a full-time staff position. Please do not contact us unless you are applying for a position. Solicitations from service providers and brokers will be deleted and marked as spam.
About the Energy Access Team
REEEP works in a number of economic sectors, but is particularly active in the field of energy access, working in line with Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) 7 toward a world in which all people have access to modern, sustainable energy. The Access Team has vast experience designing public-private approaches and programmes to support rural electrification, growth of productive energy use in agriculture and value chains and innovative energy services to support countries in advancing inclusive, sustainable growth. We have supported dozens of projects across Africa, Asia and Latin America, although the current focus is on Sub-Saharan Africa. Our largest programme is the pan-African initiative Beyond the Grid Fund for Africa.
About the Beyond the Grid Fund for Africa (BGFA)
The Beyond the Grid Fund for Africa (BGFA; https://beyondthegrid.africa/ ) is a Swedish government-funded, multi-year, market-based energy access programme covering Zambia, Burkina Faso, Liberia and Mozambique. The programme is based on the successful implementation of this approach in Zambia (https://www.bgfz.org/), which has shown that innovative results-based financing can be a powerful instrument in incentivising private sector early movers to scale business ventures in frontier off-grid energy markets.
BGFA is managed by the Nordic Environment Finance Company (NEFCO), based in Helsinki, Finland, and implemented by REEEP.
REEEP’s work culture is shaped by its focus on start-ups and other dynamic market players. The REEEP team is lean and team-oriented, open and sharing, emphasizing learning and development. Working collaboratively with the team in a highly dynamic environment is one of the main requirements of this position.
By sending us your application, you consent to the processing of your personal data indicated in your application documents and related correspondence. Your application is treated strictly confidentially and in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). Your personal data and application documents are only shared with REEEP staff and REEEP Governing Board members of the evaluation committee directly involved in the application process. In exceptional cases, recruitment processes include panel interviews which involve external members. If you are invited to such a panel interview, your application documents will also be shared with external panellists to allow them to prepare for the interview. REEEP will store your personal data and documents until six months after the application process has been completed, unless you consent to REEEP keeping your application in evidence for future job openings. Please see our Privacy Statement for further information on your rights under the GDPR and REEEP’s contact data.