Career Opportunities: Human Resources Assistant (G-5) (842)
|Division:||Office of the Executive Secretary|
|Section:||Human Resources Services|
|Unit:||Staff Administration Unit|
|Type of Appointment:||Fixed Term Appointment|
|Date of Issuance:||09/10/2020|
|Deadline for Applications:|
|Reporting Date:||As soon as possible|
Please note that all candidates should adhere to CTBTO Values of Integrity, Professionalism and Respect for Diversity.
Qualified female applicants and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
A roster of suitable candidates may be established for similar positions at the same level as a result of this selection process for a period of two (2) years.
The Preparatory Commission for the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty Organization with its headquarters in Vienna is the international organization setting up the global verification system foreseen under the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty (CTBT), which is the treaty banning any nuclear-weapon-test explosion or any other nuclear explosion. The Treaty provides for a global verification regime, including a network of 337 stations worldwide, a communications system, an international data centre and on-site inspections to monitor compliance.
This position is located in the Staff Administration Unit, Human Resources Services, Office of the Executive Secretary (OES).
Under the supervision of the Head, Staff Administration Unit, to:
- Prepare offers and letters of appointment and other actions related to the administration of contracts, reassignments, extensions and separations. Administer all entitlements, including education grants, rental subsidies and home leave for internationally recruited staff. Prepare and follow-up on payroll related actions; open, maintain and update Official Status files of staff;
- Brief and provide information to newly appointed staff on conditions of employment, social security, including, health, United Nations Joint Staff Pension Fund, life and disability insurance plan, preparation of statement of insurance coverage, and privileges and immunities related thereto, living in Vienna, schooling, housing and other related matters; assist in the processing of documentation for separating staff, including facilitation of the staff member’s final arrangements; review and process HR actions through automated systems and databases;
- Support staff enrolment in social security, health, life and disability insurance plans; conduct induction for newly recruited staff in assigned Divisions;
- Organize panels for extension of appointments of staff by preparing, compiling and distributing the necessary documentation;
- Maintain the repository of completed performance appraisal reports for processing administrative decisions;
- Assist in updating and maintaining the PTS staffing table; drafting and issuing staff bulletins on staff changes; liaise with focal points in finance and budget planning and implementation on post management;
- Collect and collate staff-related data to assist with the preparation of periodic reports, provide statistics and input for the Annual Human Resources Report and respond to ad hoc requests in relation to other statistical reports;
- Open, maintain and update records related to the implementation of the Service Limitation Policy; release periodic service limitation status alerts to HR portfolio management teams and the respective divisions; follow up timely actions with the divisional HR focal points;
- Assist in ensuring controls are maintained in the access to confidential service limitation documents, its security classification and sensitivity levels, including distribution, reproduction, and version control;
- Log exceptions, maintain and update databases that track practices and precedents diverging from standard procedures and policies; record personnel actions arising from exceptional/discretional approvals and prepare the log for annual review of policies and procedures; Review and process HR actions through automated systems and databases;
- Assist in establishing and maintaining inter- and intra-divisional cooperation and communication by contacting regularly the divisions of assigned responsibilities, follow up with divisional HR focal-points and timekeepers on action to be taken;
- Contribute to the knowledge transfer and knowledge sharing initiatives of the section, and to the development and documentation of standard operating procedures (SOPs) and working practices to facilitate continuous improvement;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Completed secondary education and appropriate office training; additional training in Human Resources Management or Administration is highly desirable.
- At least five years of relevant working experience in the field of human resources management, staff administration or related area is essential, preferably part of which should have been in an international environment; experience in administering entitlements in an international organization is desirable;
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office and other computer applications is essential; Knowledge of ERP systems (SAP databases and/or Talent Management Systems) is an asset;
- Ability to handle information of a confidential nature is essential;
- Thoroughness and excellent attention to detail is essential;
- Ability to organize and prioritize work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines is essential;
- Experience in the application of human resources policies, regulations and rules is desirable.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English are essential;
- Knowledge of other CTBTO official languages is desirable.
- Professionalism – Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
- Communication– Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Planning and organizing – Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts printouts as requested; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently
- Teamwork – Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organisational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; builds consensus for task purpose and direction with team members; supports and acts in accordance with final group decisions, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Accountability – Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honors commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments; takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
- Creativity – Actively seeks to improve programmes or services; offers new and different options to solve problems or meet client needs; promotes and persuades others to consider new ideas; takes calculated risks on new and unusual ideas; thinks “outside the box”; takes an interest in new ideas and new ways of doing things; is not bound by current thinking or traditional approaches.
- Client orientation – Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive relationships with clients by gaining their trust and respect.; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress and setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to clients.
- Commitment to continuous learning – Keeps abreast of new developments in own occupation/profession; actively seeks to develop oneself professionally and personally; contributes to the learning of colleagues and subordinates; shows willingness to learn from others; seeks feedback to learn and improve.
- Technological Awareness – Keeps abreast of available technology; understands applicability and limitations of technology to the work of the office; actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks, shows willingness to learn new technology.
CTBTO offers an attractive compensation and benefits package in accordance with the policies of the International Civil Service Commission. For more information on UN salaries, allowances and benefits, see link: http://www.un.org/Depts/OHRM/salaries_allowances/salary.htm). The salary offered may be subject to deductions to the United Nations Joint Staff Pension Fund and Health Insurance Scheme.
- All applications must be submitted through the CTBTO e-Recruitment system before the deadline stated in the vacancy announcement.
- The CTBTO Preparatory Commission retains the discretion not to make any appointment to this vacancy; to make an appointment at a lower grade in particular if the candidate has less than the qualifications required; to make an appointment with a modified job description, or to offer a contract term for a shorter duration than indicated in the vacancy announcement.
- Please note that the CTBTO will only consider academic credentials or degrees obtained from an educational institution recognized in the IAU/UNESCO list.
- The CTBTO reserves the right to undertake correspondence only with shortlisted candidates.
- Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to a reference-checking process or be requested to provide performance assessments.